Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Here is my second attempt at a recipe from Pinterest.  I've decided that since it is just me and my husband that I would make my co-workers be my guinea pigs. There is no way Frank and I can eat all of the recipes I make before they go bad.  So I'm surfing Pinterest at work :) and I stumble upon this pin and I asked my co-worker Kassy if it sounds good. She said, "Yes, and you should make it tonight!"

Now, normally I leave my "experiments" for the weekend, but I was inspired to do this one right away.  It doesn't hurt that it is only 3 ingredients and I've been itching to use my new Kitchen Aid. By the way, do you know how hard it is to leave a Kitchen Aid in the box without using it for 3 months? I hate moving! But I'm glad that we now have our house set up enough for me to make a mess in the kitchen and not have to move a bunch of random things to do it.

This is the original website where I found the recipe.  http://www.instructables.com/id/Scary-Easy-Pumpkin-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies/?ALLSTEPS

Here is a breakdown of the recipe with my own pictures at my attempt:
The shining red thing on the right is my new KitchenAid. Thank you Helen for the amazing wedding gift!
  • 1 box of cake mix (I used the spice flavor that was suggested, but I read from others that carrot works well too)
  • 1 15 oz can of Pumpkin Puree
  • 1 bag of chocolate chips
The rest is so simple!
  1. Mix the cake mix and pumpkin puree together until the mix is thoroughly worked in. (At this point I had to refrain from eating the batter because it smells just like Thanksgiving.  I may or may not have tried it.  And it may or may not have been ah-mazing followed by a weird after taste.)
  2. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  3. Put on baking sheets. (The original recipe called for parchment paper, but I just used foil)
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes.


The 
I tried small and large shaped cookies to see which would come out best.  The cookies that were on the top rack (left) came out perfect.  The ones on the bottom rack (right) were slightly burned, but still good.  

The retain the exact shape that they have before they go into the oven.  I wonder how I can make the shape come out better than just throwing it on the sheet with a spoon.  Do you think a piping bag with a large whole would work?  Anyways, on to the taste test...


Well Frank tried them and gave it a thumbs up. I guess that means my attempts at being domestic are going well!  I read from some of the comments on the original post that some people have tried variations.  Here are some variations that I think might be cool:
 *Christmas: white cake mix/peppermint white chocolate chips
 *Valentines Day: red velvet cake mix/dark chocolate chips
 *St. Patricks Day: white cake mix with green food coloring/mint chocolate chips

What are some variations that you think would be good?

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahahahaha, I love that Frank has debuted as the taste tester!! Looks super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you are trying out recipes too :) They look delicious!! My coworkers end up being my taste testers as well as a few friends. It's difficult making goods for one person.

    ReplyDelete