Sunday, August 26, 2012

Frank's Cheesy Tater-Tot Casserole

We had some hamburger meat that needed to be eaten before it spoiled.  So Frank asked me what I wanted for dinner.  I saw a picture of a tater-tot casserole and it looked good so I picked that.  He went to the store while I was at work and all I said he needed to get was tater-tots, a can of cream of whatever he wanted like celery or something, and some cheese.  Well, Frank then decided that he was going to make the cheesiest casserole ever to be made on this planet.  Here is how the adventure began...

First the ingredients:
2 lbs of ground beef
1 bag of tater-tots
1 can of cream of chicken (or any substitute)
Small amount of cheese
Directions:
1.  Start with browning the ground beef. You will want to drain the beef after you are down cooking it.
2.  Layer the bottom of a baking dish with the ground beef and mix in the can of cream.  It may not look like a lot of cream, but it will balance out.  This is with 1 1/2 cans which we found out is too much.
3.  The next too steps are a matter of preference.  I like the shredded cheese to be put down, then the tater tots on top. Frank likes the tots on the bottom and cheese on top.  Since this is his recipe he did it his way.  He layered the tots.  Then he put even more cream of cheddar.  At this point I think even he was questioning on whether it was a but too much.  Oh and let me tell you it was.  But this is about attempting to be domestic.  We live and learn.  Just make sure that you learn from us!
4.  The Frank layered the top with a little cheese.  Now the reason I like the tots on top is because they get real nice and crispy. And because it is baked it is crunchy, but not greasy.  Frank likes a real nice melted cheese layer. So like I said earlier, either way is good.
5.  Finally cook the dish in the oven using the directions from the tater tots package.  For us it was 35 minutes at 350 degrees.  And this is what it turned out...

We ate this with sweet peas.  It was really good when I ate the peas and casserole in the same bite.  I suggested to Frank that next time we try having the peas in the casserole.  He thought it would be a good idea.  I think it would almost be like a shepards pie but with tater tots. This recipe has potential for different variations for sure.  Stay posted for our attempt #2 for this casserole.  

*I think this would be a good meal to freeze.  But since I've never done frozen meals I didn't try it.

Any suggestions or learning tips from your experience with this kind of meal?


No comments:

Post a Comment