Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Eating Coach Fail

Last week I had an appointment with a Nutritionist or Dietician.  The morning started out well.  I couldn't sleep because I was in pain so I started to get ready and I got to my appointment early.  As I'm about to get out of my car I realize that I had left part of my uniform at home.  F%&k.  My first week back at work I have forgotten my socks, then my gym shoes, now my hat.  I ended up borrowing a hat with the wrong name and rank.  Frank drove over to bring me my hat and ended up being late to his new job.  What a day.

Now back to my "eating coach" appointment.  It was a little bit informational, but kind of a waste of time.  She showed me a plate that was divided into quarters.  Each quarter is to be a fruit, vegetable, meat, and grain.  I'm supposed to eat a minimum of 1400 calories and a maximum of 1800.  She asked me a whole bunch of questions then handed me 3 handouts and a brochure for an online Army weight loss program.  That's it.  I don't know exactly what I expected, but it was definitely more than that.  I thought we would come up with a plan of action.  Or a few short term goals to keep me motivated while I'm working on my long term goal of losing 90 lbs.  I did get a cool sheet suggesting healthy snacks.


I got back to my office to look up the program she recommended, Army Move!  I took 2 questionnaires, filled out the registration forms, and emailed it all to the online program.  Long story short, I had to email and talk to 3 people before I found out that the program is no longer running because they do not have the staff to man it.  I got a hold of a Lieutenant Colonel at the US Army Public Health Command.  She said that she would help instruct me since the nutritionist wasn't all that.  She asked me how much weight I had gained.  When I told her 100 lbs. she said "OMG, you should see my face right now."  I let her know that I understood it was crazy.  She kept asking me questions looking for a justification for the weight gain  Was it water retention, high blood pressure, thyroid problems?  She just couldn't comprehend that someone would gain that much for no reason.  There was a reason.  It's called my love/hate relationship with food.  I love food and hate to not eat it, but I wan't going to tell her that :)
 

I told her I had to lose 90 lbs by June 1st which she replied that I should only lose 32 lbs by then.  That was a little discouraging.  We will see.  She wants me to do MyFitnessPal to track my calories and exercise.  She then had to get off the phone for an appointment and said that she will email me.  I don't know where this route of working with a nutritionist is going to go, but at least I am trying.



No comments:

Post a Comment